Finally, finally, my sewing machine returned home! She was put to work immediately.
While waiting for the repair shop to open, I popped into Goodwill and found an XL Men's polo shirt to turn into a comfy summer skirt. The shirt was a nice shade of green in a stretch cotton.
The idea comes directly from All Buttoned Up.
I cut up the side seams, removing approximately two inches from each side. I had thought I would work the shirt's original little pocket and button placket into the skirt's design but I removed it at the last minute as the skirt would have been too long. The resulting skirt is 20" in length.
I sewed up the side seams, gently sloping inwards to the waist. I used the shirt's original hem for the skirt hem.
I used Angry Chicken's handy-dandy FOE technique to pull in the waist. Though there were a couple curse-word worthy moments using this technique, I definitely will use it again for more skirts---once I got the hang of it, it was fast, simple, and makes a comfortable gathered waste.
Ta-da! (I apologize for the less-than-par reflection photo)! My photo assistants were otherwise occupied today...